I’ve seen things this week that break my heart. Kids … with no respect or regard for their own lives, let alone anyone else’s. Reckless, lawless, gutless behavior. They seem to feel bold and courageous, when in reality they are cowardly and their actions ignorant. I believe in a lot of cases these kids want to be a part of something … anything. And when parenting doesn’t provide the needed input, when an adult doesn’t model a positive example, when they don’t feel a part of something worthwhile …. they fall apart.
We have to realize the importance of all people, and especially young people, with being a part of a team. A team does so many things for you. It . . .
- Gives you a sense of belonging
- Provides a sense of importance
- Lets you know you are cared for and loved
- Helps establish a stronger sense of self-esteem
- You are more susceptible to fall into negative identification (gangs, violent groups, cults)
- You don’t care about yourself, because you think no one else does
- You don’t feel loved or supported