Racing to camp for the kids. Preparing curriculum for next year. Helping to plan a wedding. Planning a major life event. Moving family out of state. One thing right after the other. Good things. All good things.
And yet, I’m overwhelmed. Feels like it’s coming to fast. No time to breathe. Can’t get it all done. Feels like I’m barely hanging on.
And then I realize why. I’m trying to do it all in my own power. Not resting in the peace and power of God.
Ah… another year. I woke up this morning with joy in my heart and peace in my spirit. Of course I wanted to express it in my favorite way. Writing!
I have so much to be thankful for. I praise God that I know me – and love me! (That was a process well worth the effort!) I’m thankful for patience with myself and others. I’m thankful for a true loving giving partner in my husband. I’m thankful for my sons’ laughter and smiles. I’m thankful to do what I love – write, encourage and motivate others. I’m thankful for loving supportive family and friends. And I’m thankful for a hope in and love for Jesus that brings peace that passes all understanding.
We just enjoyed Independence Day … the United States celebrating our nation’s independence. It made me start thinking about how much people relish independence, being a “self-made” man or woman, being your own boss; in essence, running things. All are interesting positions to take. However, it made me pause and think of the importance of dependence … on the right things. I want to make my declaration of dependence … on God.
I depend on God for …
– Wisdom. To know what to do, when to do it, and how to do it. Without Him, I’d make some pretty messed up decisions.
– Patience. Left to my own devices, I would be hot-headed and unwilling to wait. But I depend on God to teach me the art of waiting while still working towards my goal, and allowing Him to fulfill it in His time and season.
– The ability to love others. People can be mean. Purposefully. However, I choose to try to walk in the love of God with others. It’s not easy, but the peace I feel is so worth it.
– Peace. I am at peace even when it doesn’t make sense to me. Only God can do that.
– Protection. The world we live in can cause you to be full of fear and anxiety. I am so thankful for every single day that God protects my family and I.
I hereby declare I will continue to depend on Him … and Him alone.
Although tomorrow is the day we celebrate Thanksgiving, truly we have so much to be thankful for every day. Life, family, friends, and health are among the most valuable things that God has blessed us with. In honor of this day set aside to focus on being grateful for the grace and mercy of God in our lives, this article is perfect to share to get a jump on the holiday. May your day be filled with love and laughter. Happy Thanksgiving.