I recently came across a picture of myself while in college, I think junior year. I can’t believe how young I look! (No, I don’t look old now, just seasoned. Lol.) It started me thinking of all the things I wish I’d known then. So I decided to make a list … of the things I wish I could tell my 20-year-old self….
1. Stop making decisions for your life based on what other people think. Don’t choose or not choose jobs, professions, friends, activities, etc. solely based on others’ opinions. Now you do want to listen to wise counsel, but don’t let others’ judgments be the final word on your choices.
2. Love yourself. You are a beautiful, smart woman made in the image of God. You’re not perfect and won’t always get it right. But you are fearfully and wonderfully made. Be thankful for every quirk, every nuance, every unique thing that’s a part of your personality and who you are. Embrace that. Embrace you.
3. Don’t shy away from the unknown purely based on fear… fear of what could happen, fear of what other people will think (see #1). New experiences can make you grow. Moving out-of-state or even across country could be a thrilling experience. Just go for it.
4. Stop trying to plan every aspect of your life! First of all it won’t work. Secondly, you have no clue what lies ahead or what things God has in store. Third, it just won’t work.
5. One day you will look back on all of this and smile. Every hurt, every pain. Every loss and every triumph. You’ll thank God for the courage and perseverance to make it through each situation. And will see it really has made you stronger.
You will turn out to be someone incredible. God has richly blessed you, beyond what you could ask or think. Just relax. And enjoy the ride.